Saturday, July 4, 2009

Le Mont St. Michel to our Paris Apartment.

Yesterday was a long one, we drove from our stopover at the Mount to Paris. Originately we planned in making it to the Gare du Nord by noon to get our rental car in on time, but we soon saw that we we're being over ambitious and the rental contract read that we had a 29 minute grace period before being charged for another 24 hours.

We figured that the cost of another day would be closely offset by taxis across Paris and an afternoons wait in a cozy Parisien bar until we could get into our apartment.

So. Sharon wanted to visit the town and Cathedral at Chartes or "Shart" for a close pronunciation. A fine stop. (More at Chartes Later)

Sharon did some excellent navigation while I played dodgem and chicken with the traffic getting into Friday afternoon Paris. She found our place and really without any real problems and Voila! I found a parking spot right outside. We were a little early so took a stroll around the 'hood. What a great area to be! The Eiffel Tower is just a short walk away and everything else is convenient. The Rue Cler a pedestrian street full of cool shops, markets and street cafes' is just around the corner.

Maite' the concierge, let us in and showed us around the delightful apartment, ours for 6 nights. Then she trotted away. I went down the stairs with her to pick up the last bag to bring up to the 4th floor. (About 80 stairs) All the time Maite' was chatting away with her 'almost' excellent English while I asked her what her weekend plans where. Thinking: Now if I was 30 again and Sharon didn't hurt me...........

Then my adventure started, I left Sharon to get settled in and sorted and also to get a cool shower after the move in, while I drove right from the South end of the City up to the station "Gare du Nord" to drop off the rental car in Friday night rush hour. What a great drive. Up Avenue King George V, Across the Seine, Eiffel Tower on my left. Up the Avenue Des Champs Elyses, turned right at the Arch de Triomphe (Name dropping...Moi?) and all the time I'm out doing the Prisien traffic on their home turf. "You just have to know 'when' to back off" There's always someone crazier than you...or bigger.

Getting near the station I got a little unsure of where I was, called out to a van driver who was merging into my lane. "Gare du Nord?" He shouted back something (I hoped) sounded like "Follow me" so I tucked in behind. Had to jump a couple of lights so I wouldn't lose him. Then at one light he pointed left and waved. I turned up, found the station and Voila! There was a ramp saying rental cars. How cool.

The car check in was easy, he took the paper off me asked where the car was parked and said, "au revoir!" I like that.

From there I had to take the Metro back to the apt. and that worked out fine also. Even though I had to buy the ticket and I don't have ANY French at all.

Oh wait, "Un biere s'il vous plait?" That's always got me by in France.

Had to change train lines as well but it put me off just half a block from where the apt is.

No comments: