Thursday, June 18, 2009

The start, Sharon's Thoughts.

First, the crisps. That’s potato chips to you Americans. Who knew that Britain could be so far advanced in flavor choices?! Having just finished off a packet of Thai Sweet Chili crisps, they’re on my mind so I begin there. A few less dollars for road repair and national defense, and the US could embellish the potato chip flavor choices there. I shall lobby my congressman

But it really began Terry Dean getting us to the bus for the Vancouver Airport…in his car, ours had a dead battery, not an auspicious beginning to any vacation, but it was all uphill from there. Simple trip, easy border crossing, great seat selection with nothing but legspace and the bulkhead in front of us. Life was indeed good. Even the 2 year old across the aisle (a nose picker by the way) and the lady in the seat behind us who kept telling the flight attendant that she needed a steady flow of whatever painkillers the airline could provide because of what she was pretty sure was the onset of Swine Flu couldn’t dampen our glee.

So here we are in Battle, Sussex, England having a wonderful day of exploring charming villages, castle ruins, sausage rolls, 600 year old pubs, and the beaches where William the Conqueror and his gang landed to stake his claim to the crown, weather wonderful, Ken’s driving on the wrong side of the road, but so is everyone else and it’s a rental car so who cares? I’ll now return Ken’s ’blog’ to him. Special thanks to Terry Dean and Carol Sanders for making this trip possible.

Me (Ken) back for my thoughts

Long day that first one. Up at 4:30 am on Tuesday and then to bed at 9;30 pm Wednesday night, that's pretty long you might say but then you have to add the 8 hours time difference, then it gets long. Happy tiredness though, no worries no pressures.

I think I pass on the left.... or is it right!?

Nice car to drive 600 miles on the clock and smells factory fresh. It's a Vauxhall “Insignia” or something silly that car makers like to call their cars but it's a British GM. Lively motor, SIX speed manual box. But on these country back roads we like, it lugs in 4thgear. 5th and 6th are strictly motorway or the ‘odd’ longer straightaway

“Insigna” that’s it, that’s the name. I finally remembered. Another thing I have to remember is to keep up the revs starting off or it stalls easily and yes I have stalled it…..once or twice..! Oh, and another good way to stall is coming to a stop and forgetting you’re not driving an automatic. Second day now and I’m all over that stuff…! At least I haven't tried to drive on the other side...yet

The GM / Vauxhall, Insignia.

I've finaly found a home for Sharon, this nice little castle has a (not so) cozy room for one.

No comments: